It’s that time of year again in Austin, Texas: the leaves are falling from the trees, there’s a chill in the air and your HVAC unit is starting to let you know it’s not happy. This can be a particularly rough time for your HVAC unit, which is working overtime to keep you and your family cozy when it should be resting up for spring. Our team of certified technicians at Alamo Austin Air can help you keep your home comfortable year-round, but here are some tips on how to make sure your AC & Heating unit stays healthy through this cold season:
Winter Can be a Particularly Rough Time for Your HVAC Unit.
If you don’t want to spend money on repairs or replacements during this time of year, it’s important that you keep up with regular inspections so that any problems are caught early on before they become too serious! Our Preventative Maintenance Program provides a 31 Point Heating Tune-Up to ensure your unit is running smoothly all winter long
Protection from the Elements
- Use a cover. A cover that is the right size and made of the right material will protect your AC unit from the elements, keeping it safe and sound through even severe weather conditions.
- Make sure it’s secure. If your unit has one, use the strap to secure it tightly in place so that wind or snow can’t blow off or damage your equipment.
- Remove snow, or more likely ice, from around the unit every few days as needed (or hire someone else do do this for you).
Keeping It Clean
- Check the filter. A dirty air filter can restrict airflow and cause your AC unit to work harder than it should, which can lead to higher energy bills and a shorter lifespan. Make sure you know when it’s time for a new one by checking with your manufacturer or looking at the owner’s manual.
- Clean the unit itself–especially if there are any leaves or other debris stuck in front of it! This will help keep it running smoothly for years to come.
- Make sure everything else is working properly as well: check connections between pipes and wiring before winter sets in so that everything stays connected once temperatures start dropping; check filters regularly throughout fall/winter months; make sure all doors close tightly enough so that no cold air leaks out through cracks around windowsills or doors when they’re closed up tight against outside elements; consider purchasing an additional cover made specifically for outdoor units if yours doesn’t already come with one built-in already–this will protect them from rusting over time due exposure which could lead into bigger problems down the road if left unchecked!
De-icing Your AC Unit
- A rarity in Austin, Texas but still a possibility, don’t forget to remove snow from the unit
- Use a broom to clear away ice
- Drip dry the unit, making sure that all excess water is removed before proceeding (this can be done with a towel or other absorbent material)
- Use a hair dryer on low heat to melt any remaining ice and snow
Our Team of Certified Technicians Can Help You Keep Your Home Comfortable Year-Round.
If you’re looking for a company that can help you keep your home comfortable year-round, look no further than Alamo Austin Air & our team of certified technicians. We offer a wide range of services, including:
- HVAC maintenance and repair
- Winter heating system tune-ups
- Preventative Maintenance Services for both winter & summer
We hope you’ve enjoyed this guide to winterizing your AC unit. If you need help with any of these tips, contact us today at (512) 736-0145 or click here to schedule an appointment today!